Saturday, March 23, 2013

iRobot ~Project Intercession~

Greetings,
          I hope this finds each of you well? It has been over a month since my last post and I knew I should have posted something, but simply lacked the needed time due to school and other needs. During this break, I have been presented with numerous prayer requests, some of which have been answered while others are still in need. In addition, I have been thinking about a more user friendly, readily accessible page for Prayer Request and Answers to prayer contrasting what is currently in place (3/23/2013). Over the next few weeks, I'll be revisiting the Prayer Request/Answer to Prayer pages and indexing them for easier navigation.

          iRobot.... That's a intriguing title is it not? Although I do like the movie about iRobot, featuring Will Smith, this post is entirely unrelated. To be more specific, I have been thinking about this life, its meaning, value and use; more particularly, the spiritual life. Although both oftentimes reflect the other, I find something very interesting of which I desire to impart to you.

          I recently finished one part of my spring semester for school; one of the courses was General Psychology. Much of the class projected an evolutionary stance supplemented with an "all-knowing" attitude of psychology experts. I found a couple of verses aptly describing humankind's knowledge of Psychology.

Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
Psalms 62:9

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Romans 1:21-23

If those few verses don't sum up all of man's knowledge, I'm not sure what else does? I'm not suggesting that education is foolishness or unprofitable, but ought never to be used to bolster one's pride so that they believe attainment has been achieved. Go to school, learn, but remember the words of Micah the Prophet:

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Micah 6:8.

However, despite the general attitude that many "experts" have about the human brain, behavior and psychosis of humanity, there were a few things I thought were very appropriate. One of the statements in my textbook said that most people live 90% of their life in a state of "auto-pilot" (Myers, 2013). Isn't that a crazy thought? People are so unobservant to their daily thoughts and actions, that the unconscious portion of the human brain regulates and reacts to everyday stimuli automatically (Myers, 2013). Amazing! On the flip side, how does this correlate to the spiritual side of each person? This is what I'd like to entertain today.

        There are some days when everything seems perfect and nothing could possibly be added or taken away from it. But then there are days that seems to be opposite, full of contemplation. This doesn't mean that the "perfect days" lack contemplation, but human-nature tends to be more reflective and objectivee when things are going badly. Over the last few weeks, I have experienced a strange sensation of despair and discouragement of which I knew was entirely unwarranted or from God. Despite this oddity, I have pondered about my psychology class and the autopilot of my Christian walk before this world. It appears to me that there are many Christians who are satisfied to live everyday and do the minimum or nothing at all; they are simply content that another day is passed. This is where I find myself.

        I do not want to stand before Jesus someday and learn that I was basically oblivious to the "road signs" God set before me, but I was too distracted by the cares of this life or running on "auto-pilot". I do not say this to instill fear, but admonishment to be conscious about our walk. It often pays to stay still and examine our walk in Christ (1 Corinthians 11:28). I feel led to stop here, but challenge you to think upon these things you have read. May God Bless you.

References
Myers, D. G. (2013). Psychology (10th ed.). New York: Worth.